Sunday, May 2, 2010

Woody Vines crawl up tree

Within our wood are many variety of vines.   Amazing to me is the strength and mass of these creatures.  These vines are large, woody structures with their own 'bark'.   They extend upwards into the canopy of the tree - often creating an interconnecting system of 'cable' like webbing.   These webs connect many trees.   In the extreme they are able to choke a tree - not due to constriction of trunk, but from sunlight - as the 'new' canopy of vine foliage (somewhere on top) steals all the light. 

How do these vines work there way up?   Do they grow with the tree?  From the breadth of their 'trunks' my suspicion is they are years old - ? as old as the tree they hold onto? 

Is there a resource for these vines - names, species, unique characteristics?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Do you have some wisteria? I thought that the wisteria blooming in Palestine this spring was amazing, and I was wondering if it was indigenous to the area! I do not think I have ever seen them so beautiful. Fortunately, after many cases of poison ivy, I have learned to identify that evil little plant, but I am confused about how to identify poison oak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marylyn

    I do not recall seeing any wisteria in our wood.... Suspect that it may not be a native plant - but don't know that. This spring has been exceptional -- truly 'blooming'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0021.pdf

    This brochure from the Texas Parks and Wildlife, Nature Trails of the Nature Center, East Texas Ecological Education Center at Tyler looks like it might be promising to find our plants, but not so many East Texas vines shown.

    I agree with Marilyn that the Palestine wisteria was prettier than ever, especially those by her parents' home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite vines on the property are blackberry vines that I use to make a great blackberry cobbler, or more like a blackberry pie with added dough.

    One lady in the area got lost blackberry picking. See:

    http://palestineherald.com/local/x1414112937/Slocum-woman-found-after-search

    ReplyDelete